Best in the East Battle the Grizz at the Grindhouse
The Grizzlies are coming off a disappointing loss against the Minnesota Timberwolves on Friday night. With 1:47 to go, the Grizzlies were up 87-80 and ended up losing the game 90-89. Grizzlies just flat out played lackluster basketball and it cost them ground in the Western Conference. Grizzlies gave up 24 points off of 18 turnovers. They were out-rebounded 43-30. Zach Randolph only took 7 shots in the entire game and his first shot attempt came in the 3rd quarter. Only positive note for the Grizzlies is that the newcomer JaMychal Green had a solid outing in 9 minutes of play with 8 points, 2 rebounds and was 2-2 from the free throw line.
Grizzlies tend to play down to the competition. They were focusing on getting back home and playing the Atlanta Hawks this evening at the Grindhouse. The Hawks (42-9) are the number one team in the NBA and the Grizzlies (37-13) have to be ready for them. Grizzlies play their best basketball against elite teams. They try to prove a point to let others know they’re the better team. In the last outing, the two teams were evenly matched and the Hawks won the game in the final minutes. The Grizzlies were without Zach Randolph and Jeff Green was still with the Boston Celtics. Zbo and JG may very well be the difference between a win and a loss.
Things that Need to Happen
1) All 5 starters need to be on their A++ game. All of them should be in double figures. Zbo had a season low 6 points against the Timberwolves on Friday night and this should NOT HAPPEN TODAY!! Zbo needs to get back to being First name 20, last name 10.
2) Everyone should help Zbo on the boards. He shouldn’t be the only trying to get rebounds. Marc and the wing players need to be more aggressive with rebounding the ball. I look for Marc to have a double figure rebounding game. And Marc should have 20 points or more. When he’s aggressive, who can stop him?
3) Defend the 3 point line. This goes without saying. The Grizz cannot let Kyle Korver get hot from 3. Someone need to be all over him when he’s on the floor.
4) Mike Conley needs to be aggressive on Jeff Teague. Mike just need to take over the game.
5) The new brothers of destruction need to do what they do and continue their thieving ways. Tony Allen and Nick Calathes need to be the defensive stoppers off the bench.
6) Grizzlies need to take this game more seriously then they did with the Timberwolves.
7) Joerger need to trust guys on the bench more when it’s not working with the starters.
8) JaMychal Green need to get some minutes to see if he can rebound and get to the basket.
9) Beno need to go BENO on the Hawks. He needs to be in double figures.
10) The Grindhouse need to be loud and in the game. The Grizzlies need the home crowd to be in it!! It should be like a playoff atmosphere. I want to hear the deafening sound on my TV.
This game will not be easy by no means. The Hawks are currently the best team in the entire NBA and they will be play as such. But the Grizzlies will not let them come in the Grindhouse thinking this will be an easy win. The Grizz will scratch, claw and fight their way to get a victory. It might not be pretty but I expect it to be gritty!!
When: 5pm CST
Where: The Grindhouse aka The FedEx Forum
TV/Radio Broadcast: Fox SportSouth/92.9 FM ESPN
Latest posts by Sharon Brown (see all)
- What’s wrong with the Grizzlies? - January 22, 2019
- Grizzlies defense shine as Memphis take down Trail Blazers 92-83 - December 13, 2018
- In Shy’s Corner: The Return of Captain Clutch - November 12, 2018